Peggy Guggenheim is a legend unto herself. An eccentric bohemian, this American millionaire knew, loved, and frequented all the artists of the 20th century. But most importantly, she had an extraordinary eye. Peggy could recognise real talent and locate the one amongst all the paintings that would mark its time.
In 1947, she bought the Venier dei Leoni palace from Luisa Casati. Built in 1748 along the Grand Canal, it was incomplete, with only one floor finished. She made it her residency and, after presenting her collection at the Biennale, installed the works in her new home. This extravagant patron then organised the first Italian exhibitions of Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko. After her death, she donated the house-museum to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, which has managed it since, and which organises temporary exhibitions of other artists alongside paintings by Picasso, Léger, and Mondrian, and sculptures by Brancusi and Calder.
Do not miss the room devoted to Peggy Guggenheim's jewellery and glasses: these singular creations have inspired many jewellers and opticians over the years.
Peggy Guggenheim Collection
Palazzo Venier dei Leoni
+39 (0)41 240 5411